Knowledge base

Assistance With Travel Costs for Medical Treatment

If you've suffered a significant injury then an additional cost you may incur on top of the medical bills are travel costs. This is especially true if you live in a regional area of Queensland are sent to a major medical centre in a larger city such as Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Cairns or Townsville. 

Medical treatment travel costs

There is a subsidy scheme offered by the government to help with longer distance travel for appointments. In addition, if the injury was due to a work injury or a car accident then you may be entitled to further compensation.

Injured? Get expert advice now: Smith's are Queensland's only 100% risk-free injury compensation lawyers. Insist on our 'No Win. No Fee. No Catch' ® promise. Check your rights with no risk or obligations now and talk direct to our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith. Call 1800 266 801 OR  check if you can claim

Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme

Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme application form

This scheme is available to assist people living in rural and remote areas who have to travel more than 50km for specialist medical services which are not locally available. The scheme provides financial assistance for travel and accommodation costs. 

To be eligible for the scheme you must be a Queensland resident who is eligible for Medicare and obtaining specialist medical treatment that is recommended as medically necessary for your condition and which is not available within 50km of your nearest public hospital. 

You can lodge a PTSS application form with your local hospital.  

How helpful was this article?

Not at all
Not much
Sort of
Thanks for your feedback! This will help us improve our content.
If you still need help or guidance:
Contact us
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Last update on:
June 1, 2021
Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For expert advice call 1800 266 801 or chat via live chat to arrange free initial advice with our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Next steps — get advice now

It’s important to get advice for your specific situation. Check if you can make a risk-free compensation claim and get free initial advice from our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Get Advice Now