What are my rights if I’m hit by a drunk driver?

If you’re injured in a road accident and one of the parties was affected by alcohol at the time, you have the right to make a claim for any physical harm and financial loss you may have suffered against the vehicle's CTP insurer.

The person at fault is liable to pay compensation to any individuals who are injured.

A court determines who is at fault for an accident by considering whether either driver acted negligently.

Generally, drivers who are found to be driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident will be considered negligent and therefore at fault, whether wholly or partially, for any accident they are involved in.

Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For help understanding your rights, please call 1800 960 482 or chat via live chat to talk to one of our Lawyers today.

Back to knowledge Base

If it's time to talk, we're here to help. Get free advice direct from our solicitors today.

Our company and team are members of