Can I claim compensation for food poisoning from a restaurant?

You may be able to make a public liability claim for food poisoning if you can prove that your illness occurred because the person who made or sold you the contaminated food was negligent.

Proving liability in a food poisoning compensation claim can be difficult, especially if yours is an isolated incident.

Unless you can point to a cluster of simultaneous cases which followed consumption of food from a common source, it may be difficult to establish that the bacteria or virus was from the food, or whether it was picked up from another source.

If you’re aware of an incidence of food contamination or poisoning, a product labelling issue or other food safety or hygiene issue, you can report it by calling 13HEALTH.

To report concerns for storage, transportation or handing of dairy, seafood, raw meat, small goods or the processing of eggs, you can contact Safe Food Production Queensland on 1800 300 815.

Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For help understanding your rights, please call 1800 960 482 or chat via live chat to talk to one of our Lawyers today.

Back to knowledge Base

If it's time to talk, we're here to help. Get free advice direct from our solicitors today.

Our company and team are members of