Do I have to go to a WorkCover doctor, or can I use my own?


Your employer may recommend a doctor, but you’re not obliged to use them.

However, further into a claim you may be asked to go for an Independent Medical Examination (IME) by WorkCover Queensland or your employer’s workers' compensation insurer.

Your employer cannot dictate a particular treating practitioner. It is your right to choose the doctor you wish to receive treatment from.

You're also entitled to receive a second opinion. Read more about choosing a doctor for your work injury here.

Last updated:
February 22, 2024

Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For help understanding your rights, please call 1800 960 482 or request a free case review to talk to one of our lawyers today.

Back to knowledge Base

If it's time to talk, we're here to help. Get free advice direct from our solicitors today.

Our company and team are members of