Who pays for my injuries if the car that hit me was stolen?

Where the driver of the stolen vehicle is at fault, neither the owner of the stolen vehicle nor their CTP insurer will be liable. Rather the thief will personally be liable for any loss and damage their negligent driving causes.

This can make recovering the funds from the driver difficult if they have no financial assets. In the instance the driver or owner of the car at fault can’t be identified, you can make a claim against the CTP’s Nominal Defendant.

Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For help understanding your rights, please call 1800 960 482 or chat via live chat to talk to one of our Lawyers today.

Back to knowledge Base

If it's time to talk, we're here to help. Get free advice direct from our solicitors today.

Our company and team are members of