Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car or Road Accident in Queensland?

Being involved in a car or road accident can be a traumatic experience, and navigating the legal aftermath can be daunting. Whether or not you need a lawyer after such an incident depends on several factors, including the severity of your injuries, the complexity of the claims process, and the type of insurance coverage you have. This article explores situations where a lawyer may be necessary following a car or road accident and when it may be less crucial to have legal representation so you can better understand what steps to take if you are the victim of such an accident. 

When You May Need a Lawyer

1. If You Have Been Injured

If you have sustained serious injuries in a car accident, hiring a lawyer is often crucial. Lawyers experienced in car accident claims can navigate the complexities of the legal system, assess liability accurately, and ensure you receive adequate compensation for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.

2. Complex Claims Process

Queensland’s Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance system has a specific claims process that may be unfamiliar to those without legal expertise. The process involves several steps, including serving a Notice of Accident Claim Form, undergoing rehabilitation, and possibly attending a Compulsory Conference. An experienced lawyer can guide you through these steps, ensuring all necessary documentation is submitted correctly and within the required timeframes.

3. Dealing with Insurance Companies

Insurance companies often prioritise their profit and may aim to settle claims quickly and for the lowest possible amount. They may also refuse to fund an injured person’s rehabilitation. Having a lawyer on your side can level the playing field, as they can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and advocate for a fair settlement.

4: Major Property Damage and No Insurance 

If your vehicle has sustained significant damage and you don’t have insurance coverage, you might need the assistance of a property damage lawyer. Before taking legal action, follow these steps:

  • Document the Damage: Take detailed photos of the damage to your vehicle and gather any repair estimates.
  • Report the Accident: Notify the police and obtain a copy of the accident report.
  • Contact the Other Party’s Insurance: If the other driver was at fault, reach out to their insurance company to file a claim.
  • Seek Legal Advice: If you’re unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, consider contacting a property damage lawyer. While Smith's Lawyers does not handle property damage cases, you can contact the Queensland Law Society for help in finding a suitable lawyer.

No Win No Fee Arrangements

Many personal injury lawyers in Queensland work on a no win no fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. This arrangement can alleviate financial concerns for those worried about upfront legal fees. This means that if you think you may need a lawyer but are concerned about the cost of legal representation, there are still options for you. 

When You May Not Need a Lawyer

1. Very Minor Injuries

If the car accident resulted in minor injuries that resolve in a few days and are not going to have a long-term impact, it is unlikely that you need a lawyer to assist you with your claim. In such cases, you can often handle the claims process yourself.

2. Comprehensive Insurance Coverage When There are No Injuries 

If you have comprehensive car insurance and the accident only resulted in property damage to your vehicle, you may not need a lawyer. Comprehensive insurance typically covers the cost of repairs or replacement of your vehicle, and the insurance company will handle the negotiations with the other driver’s insurer. In cases where there are no injuries and only property damage to your vehicle, you can often resolve the matter without legal assistance. 

Next Steps - Deciding if You Need to Seek Legal Advice 

Whether you need a lawyer after a car or road accident in Queensland depends on the specifics of your situation. For serious injuries, complex claims, and dealing with insurance companies, having a lawyer can be crucial. However, for minor injuries or property damage covered by comprehensive insurance, you may be able to handle the claims process yourself. Understanding your rights and the claims process can help you make an informed decision about whether to seek legal assistance. 

If you believe you may need to seek legal advice or are looking for guidance on what steps to take, you can request a free case review online. 

Get expert advice today

To check your compensation entitlements, request a free case review with our expert car accident lawyers. We can explain your options to road accident injury claims so you are clear on your rights during this difficult time.

Take our 2-minute free claim check

Fill in the form below to find out if you have a claim.

Last updated:

July 3, 2024

Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For help understanding your rights, please call 1800 960 482 or request a free case review to talk to one of our lawyers today.

Back to Knowledge Base
Our company and team are members of