Knowledge base

Slip and Fall Compensation Lawyers

Slip and fall - can I claim compensation?

Amusement park and slip and fall injuries

You may be able to claim public place compensation for injuries that result from a slip and fall if it was caused by someone else’s negligence or carelessness. Simply injuring yourself while you are on public property or in a shopping centre, restaurant or carpark does not automatically entitle you to be paid compensation for your injuries by the occupier.

Injured? Get expert advice now: Smith's are Queensland's only 100% risk-free injury compensation lawyers. Insist on our 'No Win. No Fee. No Catch' ® promise. Check your rights with no risk or obligations now and talk direct to our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith. Call 1800 266 801 OR  check if you can claim

I slipped on spilled food / drink in a shopping centre can I claim compensation?

Shopping centres often have polished floors which are slippery when wet and it is common for patrons, especially children, to drop or spill food or drinks while they are walking around. This poses a legitimate slip and fall risk. 

For this reason, shopping centres are required to have a system of inspection for identifying and clearing spills. However, the law recognises that it is unreasonable to expect that all spills can be rectified all of the time and entrants at shopping centres are also required to take reasonable care for their own safety and to watch where they are walking. 

Where a shopping centre can prove that they adhered to an adequate system of inspection and clearing of spills, this is usually sufficient to discharge their due of care. On the other hand, if there is evidence that they did not respond quickly enough to reported spills or failed to carry out sufficient inspections to identify slipping risks, they may be liable for any injuries that result.

Ankle injury caused by slip and fall in a public place

Example: Jeff is walking through a shopping centre texting on his phone when he slips in a puddle of spilt soft drink on the floor. Surveillance camera footage showed that the drink was dropped by a patron about an hour prior, however due to insufficient cleaning staff being rostered on that day, there were no inspections of that area of the shopping centre during the morning.  The shopping centre may be found liable for Jeff’s injuries because a proper system of inspection and cleaning was not being implemented at the time of the incident. Because Jeff was texting and failed to look where he was going though, there may be some reduction of his damages for contributory negligence. 
Fiona is walking through a shopping centre when a child in a stroller in front of her drops a milkshake in her path. With no time to react, Fiona steps into the liquid and slips, falling to the ground and sustaining back injuries. Since there was no time for the shopping centre to respond to the spill and nothing they could have done to advert the incident, it is unlikely to be found negligent nor liable for Fiona’s injuries.

I slipped on a freshly mopped floor - can I claim compensation?

Tiled and polished floors are slippery when wet, and areas which must be mopped throughout the day may pose a slip risk until they dry. 

Occupiers must therefore warn entrants of wet areas and avoid unnecessary amounts of water or soap being left on surfaces where patrons are walking. If they fail to do this, they may be held liable for any injuries that result. Having been warned of the increased risk of slipping, it is also up to patrons to take care for their own safety.

Bucket and cleaning products

Example: Jeff is having lunch with friends at a restaurant. While he is walking to the front counter to pay his bill he slips on a tiled floor where a staff member has just sprayed a large amount of clear floor cleaner onto a spill. There are no signs or barriers to warn of the slippery floor. The restaurant will likely be liable for Jeff’s injuries as it failed to warn of the risk.

I slipped over at a bar while intoxicated - can I claim compensation?

You may be able to claim compensation for injuries that occur at a bar or restaurant if the injuries were caused by the occupier’s negligence or carelessness. 

The fact that a person is intoxicated does not alter the standard of care which is owed by an occupier, however, where a claimant is intoxicated at the time of a slip and fall, there is a presumption of contributory negligence which will usually reduce their damages by 25%.

Example: Fiona goes out to watch a band with friends at a bar. After several hours of drinking, she gets up to go to the bathroom. As she walks in front of the stage she slips on the polished concrete dance floor where many alcoholic drinks had been spilt throughout the night. The bar will likely be held liable for Fiona’s injuries as it failed to ensure there was an adequate cleaning system capable of ensuring split liquids were removed from the dance floor in a timely manner.  However, Fiona’s damages may be reduced by 25% for contributory negligence because there is evidence she was intoxicated at the time of the incident.

Slip and fall injuries in the workplace

Slip and falls at the workplace

Slip and falls are common workplace injuries. You may be able to claim workers compensation if your employer was negligent and failed to provide a safe work environment.

Common work slips may include:

Common workplace slip accidents include:

  • Falling from scaffolding on a construction site
  • Falling from steps in retail or warehouse environments
  • Falling from rooftops

Most common cause of slips trips and falls

Slip and fall caused by spilled drinks in bars

Slips occur where a foot loses traction with the floor due to inappropriate footwear or a slippery ground surface due to a spillage, coating or highly polished finish. 

Slip and fall injuries typically occur on:

  • a freshly mopped floor,
  • spilled liquids in a shopping centre or public transport,
  • spilled drinks at a restaurant or bar,
  • fruit dropped off displays in a supermarket, and
  • exterior tiled or paved surfaces in the rain.
  • Rental properties that are not kept up to standards and accumulate mould or moss

Occupiers (including owners of private property and public authorities), have a duty of care toward people coming onto their land. They must take reasonable care to make sure people coming onto their property are not exposed to risks that are likely to cause injury, such as a slip and fall.  This means that if there is something that is potentially dangerous on their property they must rectify it or warn people of the danger.

How long after a slip and fall can you sue?

For most personal injury claims, a legal action must be commenced within 3 years of the date of the injury. If you miss this deadline, you will lose the right to claim compensation.

However, depending on where your injury occurred or who you are claiming against, specific pre-court procedures may apply which may have much shorter time limits. If you miss these time limits you may lose your right to claim unless you can provide good reason for delaying and why you should be allowed to proceed with your claim. 

Time limits apply to start a slip and fall claim

Those aged under 18 will typically have until they are 21 to start the claims process.

In addition, getting accurate records such as CCTV or reliable witness statements for example may be difficult if starting a claim several years after the incident.

In summary, it’s best to seek expert legal advice as soon as possible to ensure you understand your rights and the required evidence to make a strong claim can be gathered. View time limit information article for more detail.

How helpful was this article?

Not at all
Not much
Sort of
Thanks for your feedback! This will help us improve our content.
If you still need help or guidance:
Contact us
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Last update on:
June 1, 2021
Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For expert advice call 1800 266 801 or chat via live chat to arrange free initial advice with our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Next steps — get advice now

It’s important to get advice for your specific situation. Check if you can make a risk-free compensation claim and get free initial advice from our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Get Advice Now