Knowledge base

How to Report an Unsafe Rental Property

Queensland laws and regulations require that any tenanted residential premises are safe. Landlords have a duty of care toward their tenants to reduce health and safety risks.

Injured? Get expert advice now: Smith's are Queensland's only 100% risk-free injury compensation lawyers. Insist on our 'No Win. No Fee. No Catch' ® promise. Check your rights with no risk or obligations now and talk direct to our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith. Call 1800 266 801 OR  check if you can claim

Reporting to your landlord or real estate agent

Unsafe rental property

Your landlord and/or their real estate agent are responsible for ensuring that your rental property is fit for you to live in and in good repair. Repairs to the property must be carried out within a reasonable time.

If you identify something that could pose a hazard or risk of injury at your rental property, you should advise your landlord or real estate agent immediately. If you are injured, your rights to compensation may depend on whether or not you can prove that the landlord and/or real-estate agent had notice of the hazard or circumstances that caused the injury.

If your landlord fails to take action within a reasonable time, you can issue a Notice to remedy breach (Form 11) which gives them 7 days to fix the problem. 

If the repairs required are urgent, such as a gas leak, dangerous electrical fault, fault in a staircase or other damage that makes the property unsafe, and you cannot get in touch with your landlord or real estate agent, you have the right to arrange for a qualified tradesman to effect the repairs up to a maximum value of 2 weeks rent.

Starting a residential tenancy dispute

Escalating the matter to QCAT

If your landlord refuses to fix an unsafe situation at your rental property and you cannot take action yourself to have it repaired, you can make an urgent application to the Residential Tenancy Disputes division of the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for orders compelling the landlord to address the matter. 

Instructions on how to make an application as well as forms can be located on the QCAT website.

How helpful was this article?

Not at all
Not much
Sort of
Thanks for your feedback! This will help us improve our content.
If you still need help or guidance:
Contact us
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Last update on:
June 1, 2021
Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For expert advice call 1800 266 801 or chat via live chat to arrange free initial advice with our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Next steps — get advice now

It’s important to get advice for your specific situation. Check if you can make a risk-free compensation claim and get free initial advice from our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Get Advice Now