How to report dangerous driving / hooning

‘Hooning’ and dangerous driving endangers the lives of other road users and pedestrians. It also creates disturbance to residents of the neighbourhood.

If hooning is a problem in your area, there are steps you can take to stop it.

What is Hooning

Hooning is a broad term that may refer to a variety of offences which are typified by reckless, anti-social behaviours on the road. It may include:

  • excessive speeding
  • racing or time trialling
  • burnouts or doughnuts
  • engine revving, screeching brakes, and skidding
  • playing loud music from a car stereo
  • creating unnecessary noise or smoke
  • carrying more passengers than there are seat belts in the vehicle
  • refusing to stop when requested by police
  • repeated DUI or driving without a licence
  • driving recklessly, carelessly or dangerously, or
  • driving a non-compliant modified vehicle

The law imposes strict penalties for hooning including fines, jail terms and vehicle impounding or confiscation.

Injured on the road? Get expert advice now: Smith's are Queensland's only 100% risk-free injury compensation lawyers. Insist on our 'No Win. No Fee. No Catch' ® promise. Check your rights with no risk or obligations now and talk direct to our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith. Call 1800 266 801 OR  check if you can claim

How to report hooning to authorities

Hooning motorists can be reported to the police.

Before reporting a vehicle, try to make a note of:

  • the colour, model and make of the vehicle;
  • what the hooning activity was;
  • the registration of the vehicle; and
  • the time and location of the incident.


If you want to report hooning in your area you can call the Queensland Hoon Hotline on 13HOON (134 666).

Dangerous Driving

If you or someone else is in immediate danger because of a dangerous driver you can get emergency assistance by calling 000. If there is no immediate danger, use the Hoon Hotline.

Government Vehicles

If you wish to report a government vehicle being dangerously driven you can call (07) 3008 2633 or email QFleet.

What if I am injured by a hooning vehicle? 

If you are involved in an accident or otherwise injured as a result of hooning behaviour, you may be able to make a claim for personal injury compensation under the Compulsory Third Party Insurance scheme. Talk to a lawyer about your options as soon as possible, because strict time limits apply. 

Strict time limits apply - seek legal advice ASAP - In most circumstances, the time limit to start a compensation claim is 3 years from the date of incident. Some processes need to be started much sooner. Seek expert legal advice ASAP. Call us on 1800 266 801 or start a live chat

See Also:

Next steps - get advice now

It’s important to get advice for your specific situation. Check if you can make a risk-free compensation claim and get free initial advice from our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Get Advice Now
Last update on:
May 29, 2018
Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For expert advice call 1800 266 801 or chat via live chat to arrange free initial advice with our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.


Get expert advice today

STart my claim