Knowledge base

How to Report Road Hazards

Potholes, spillages, fallen trees, flotsam on roadways and other hazards can pose serious risks to road users. Reporting such road hazards to the appropriate authorities is important to minimise risk and prevent damage or injury. It also puts road authorities on notice of the hazard which may need to be proven in cases where a person wishes to seek compensation for injuries resulting from a hazard that was not remedied within a reasonable time.

Get expert advice now: Smith's are Queensland's only 100% risk-free injury compensation lawyers. Insist on our 'No Win. No Fee. No Catch' ® promise. Check your rights with no risk or obligations now. Call 1800 266 801 OR  check if you can claim

How to report road hazards

The appropriate authority to contact in a given situation, will depend on the type of hazard and who controls the road. If you spot an unsafe vehicle on the road that has also become a hazard, you can report it to the authorities as well.

Urgent hazards on major roads 

If you encounter any urgent issue or hazard affecting a Queensland state-controlled road, contact the Queensland Transport and Main Roads and RACQ statewide reporting service on 13 19 40.

This can include:

Road hazards on major routes

  • potholes
  • traffic lights out
  • road flooding
  • damaged or missing guard rails

How do I know which roads are Queensland state controlled roads?

State controlled roads include:

  • motorways,
  • highways,
  • arterial roads,
  • major connection roads.

You can refer to this map which indicates state controlled roads in Queensland.

What are locally controlled roads? 

Reporting road hazards to the local authorities

Any road that is not state controlled is managed by the local council in that area. Brisbane City council may be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for urgent issues on (07) 3403 8888. 

Non-urgent issues can be reported on the 'Report an Issue' section of the Brisbane City Council's website.

Contact details for other local councils in Queensland can be found on the Department of Local Governments' site.

Smith's are Queensland's only 100% risk-free injury compensation lawyers. Contact our Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Sunshine Coast offices and get expert advice now.

How helpful was this article?

Not at all
Not much
Sort of
Thanks for your feedback! This will help us improve our content.
If you still need help or guidance:
Contact us
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Last update on:
June 1, 2021
Disclaimer: This information is designed for general information in relation to Queensland compensation law. It does not constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you seek legal advice in regards to your specific situation. For expert advice call 1800 266 801 or chat via live chat to arrange free initial advice with our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Next steps — get advice now

It’s important to get advice for your specific situation. Check if you can make a risk-free compensation claim and get free initial advice from our Principal lawyer, Greg Smith.

Get Advice Now